Thursday, May 23, 2013

23 May 2013 - Advent Park, Maida Vale, Perth, Western Australia


Yesterday ended with a bit of an unexpected bonus; a Skype call from my husband who advised that his flight had not been so bad after all, and that he had managed to find his way to the Sussex country village where his sister lives without a navigation device. He was altogether upbeat; a great relief after his negative expectations.

This morning I popped over to see the camp manager and paid up for a further two weeks, which we will surely need if we are to visit all the attractions on my list which is growing every day. Back at the caravan I decided I should be able to catch that same bus, the 299, I had caught two days ago. By the time I reached the bus stop, the bus had gone and I waited in the hope another might come before the next scheduled 299. Alas no, so I sat there in the sunshine, watching the golfers doing their rounds on the course across the road, searching for the birds in the gum trees opposite and breathing in the exhaust fumes from the city bound vehicles. Eventually I was joined by an elderly woman who was familiar with all the routes and timetables, and her visiting Scottish daughter. The 299 duly arrived and we all headed into town.

I alighted where Adelaide Terrace morphs into St Georges Terrace, and wandered past Government House and the Supreme Court Gardens, then shouted myself a cup of coffee at the Scottish restaurant. I checked out Hay Street looking for the QII Plaza in the mistaken belief that it was a shopping centre, and instead found where many of the smart city hotels are situated, then walked to Northbridge, wandering up and down James Street which is home to backpackers and ethnic restaurants and feels altogether different from the malls and places on the southern side of the railway.

I sat in the Northbridge Piazza, eating my cut lunch, enjoying a concert put on by the WA Police Pipe Band, winners of the 2012 Grade 1 Australian Pipe Band Championships, who have performed in New York, Edinburgh, Moscow and Ballarat, according to the big screen promo that was playing above the stage performance. Policemen (and one woman) do look rather odd wearing their police caps, police shirts and Napier tartan kilts. Thank goodness they had left off their gun holsters! I did wonder whether their time would be better spent catching criminals, but then perhaps this performing is all done in their own time?

I found the Cinema Paradiso in James Street and purchased my ticket before checking out the location of the nearest Blue Cat bus stop. It turned out that I was the only person in Perth discerning enough to watch Claude Miller’s last film Therese Desqueyroux today. I am a great fan of Audrey Tautou, as were those who wrote the encouraging reviews I read over the past month. I enjoyed the film immensely, however it is probably just as well I went alone.

Returning home before dark was a simple process; the free bus to the Esplanade bus terminal and straight onto the 299 for home.

An excellent day made even better by encouraging Skype calls. This morning I learned that little Aurelia is now walking, her big sister Bella is enjoying kindy and their father is off to a boatshow on the Gold Coast tomorrow, just a few hundred kilometres across the continent. This evening I learned that Charlie is at last settled at school and that he and his brother are delighted with their two new kittens. Their mother will be on her way to Perth in the morning; I hope we can catch up with her during her holiday. All is well in my world; I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment