Thursday, October 20, 2011

21 October 2011 - Argylla Tourist Park, Mount Isa, Queensland


It is still early afternoon, earlier than I would normally put fingers to keys. The day has clouded over, a warm breeze drifts through the awning and Chris and I are resting having finished lunch; he reading today’s paper and me here playing with my blog.

We breakfasted early this morning then took the land cruiser around to MAS Mechanical for its service, walking the three and a half kilometres back to the caravan park. Walking in the warm breeze before nine in the morning is rather wonderful, although we were singularly unimpressed with the area we walked through. It was definitely not the classiest area of Mount Isa, and I would hope there are none less classy. Fortunately most untidy houses had high wire fences around them, restraining the vicious man eating dogs that barked at us as we passed. Those residents that were home and out of bed were either sitting about looking like they weren’t too anxious to head for work (they might have just come off shift?) or were engaged in angry domestic rows.

The next couple of hours were spent reading and doing laundry, then just before eleven the garage rang to say the vehicle was ready. This co-incided well with the hair appointment I had made on our way back earlier in the day, so Chris walked the distance alone in the heat back to the garage while I sat chatting with my hairdresser in an air-conditioned salon. She was most informative about her life,  some of which echoed my own. I did have to walk about half a kilometre back to the park and was pleased to have my straw hat on. A nesting magpie flew at me quite aggressively four times in a row. I now realise that I was, after all, far too hasty in turning off my negative attitude to magpies. They are, here just as they are in Otago, nasty natured after all, even if they do sing well.

And Chris was happy to find the service less than half that quoted by the Toyota dealer. All in all, an excellent day so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment