Wednesday, May 18, 2011

19 May 2011 - Koramba Cotton, NSW


Back from another walk and ready to put in an afternoon of work, trying to have everything out of the way before we head off on further gypsy travels. A futile thought, perhaps.

Another gloriously sunny morning, begun with slightly warmer temperatures, hence I did not sit with my current book so long in the sun before heading off with my walking stick and camera.

Last night I thought better of quizzing our new neighbours on how they had managed with cotton picking, but was outside to catch them this morning before they headed for the pick up. Their fluoro vests still looked clean and new, however I have forgotten how long it took for Chris’s to get so grotty. It is not something I can launder for him, because he needs it every day for work. They were upbeat about their efforts and looked keen to front up for another day.

Chris had learned yesterday morning while sharing the gate post waiting for a ride that we had friends in common. When he told me that last night, and I thought about those friends, and the fact that Lynette looked vaguely familiar, I decided I knew where I had met her, or rather seen her. (Had I actually met her or had anything to do with her on a personal level, I would not have forgotten.) It seems that she was on the Whangarei Boys’ High School PTA with Chris and I all those years ago. What an amazing co-incidence!

This morning we also spoke very briefly about television reception, or rather the lack of, and internet availability. I offered them my aerial and long extension; they can have it overnight.

I have just done a Google search of weather forecasts for Boomi and see that rain is expected for Sunday, and showers on Monday. While the harvesting is certainly coming to its end, it is unlikely to be finished before then. Perhaps that will however give us an opportunity to spend some quality time with our fellow Onerahians?

No comments:

Post a Comment