Wednesday, May 22, 2013

22 May 2013 - Advent Park, Maida Vale, Perth, Western Australia


As I lay awake this morning, I came to the realisation why so many surviving spouses beyond child rearing age, follow their spouses to the grave so promptly; they freeze to death! It was 7 degrees, not as cold as Canberra but still astoundingly so for a place that boasts a Mediterranean climate.

Over breakfast I tuned into the television news reports and was pleased to learn the human toll of the Oklahoma City tornado was less than first reported. It makes my complaints about little puffs of wind pale when I hear the Americans faced winds of over 200 mph; note that is miles per hour, not kilometres per hour.

Of course, I also checked my Facebook page and learned that my husband was safely in the arms of his extended family, perhaps I will sleep better tonight. Bed socks and the extra duvet will help as well.

It is also astounding how focused one can be without the distraction of a husband; I amazed myself how efficiently I whizzed through the morning’s chores and some, well before mid morning. Energised from the effort, I set out for the shops at High Wycombe where I posted some mail, bought a local newspaper and had some photocopying done, all back within the hour and before lunch.

The afternoon has however been spent in a far more slovenly manner, dealing with administrative matters on the computer and planning an afternoon at the movies for tomorrow, co-ordinating bus times and routes with the one session, hopefully managing to be home before dark. Something to look forward to, the film that is, not returning in the dark.

In the meantime a couple more camping parties have arrived, one a small camper-van now parked far too close for my liking. There is a whole park to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment